Thursday, September 24, 2015

Antique Needlework and Printing Pictures

Hello dear readers!

It is a lovely fall day here in the Shenandoah!  The sun is shining and the birds are chirping - it is a little warm - but in my world it is perfect!

Unfortunately, I have been a little under the weather the past couple of days.  Hubby brought home more than the bacon last week (hehehe) and I was the lucky recipient of his crud.

Since I have been trying to take it easy, I took the time to start organizing my pictures - the ones ON my computer.  The digital age has been great for taking pictures; however, if you are like me, my pictures rarely get PRINTED.  That is a shame.  So, I have been trying to get my pictures organized so that I can print them in some sort of orderly and efficient manner.  I am trying to not get overwhelmed - I have digital pictures that go all the way back to

It has been a lot of fun looking back at my pictures - and I have stumbled across some really fun photos!  One really caught my eye and I knew that I just had to share here on the blog!

In 2011, hubby and I went to Williamsburg for our anniversary.  We just love Williamsburg but we also love taking the ferry across the James River to Surry and Smithfield.  These places are so very rich in history.  We stumbled across Smith's Fort Plantation during our first trip in 2009 but it was closed - on our return 2011 trip the house was open for tours!  And what an amazing tour!  If you are in the Williamsburg area, I highly recommend taking the ferry (it is free!) to Smithfield/Surry County and visiting the Smith's Fort Plantation!

Here is a brief history -

The site is just across the James River from the original Jamestown site.  It is called Smith's Fort because Captain John Smith began construction of a second fort on the land where the house sits.  The land was also a land grant wedding present to John Rolfe and Pocahontas!  The house itself was built sometime around 1751 - and what a beautiful house!  It is one and a half stories tall and while it is not huge, it feels like a home.

I was in awe of the house but the upstairs revealed quite a spectacular surprise.  On top of a simple chest was the most beautiful needlework bible/book cover!  My eyes found it and I immediately asked the tour guide about it.  Unfortunately, the lady did not know much about it other than it was purchased by the Rockefeller Foundation (the foundation that restored the house and all of Williamsburg) and dated to the late 1600's possibly early 1700's.  The cover was in a protective case (which was good because I am sure my drool would have found its way onto the precious needlework had it not been protected) so the pictures do not do the cover justice.  It appeared to be stitched on silk gauze with silk thread and glass beads.  Simply.  Stunning.

Here are the pictures that I took inside the house - I will start with the book cover - it is glorious!




 These cabinets were built into the wall - what a great idea!  And they make for interesting room furnishing.  Much more aesthetically pleasing than a plain wall.

 Here is a good picture of both cabinets flanking the fire place.  So simple, yet so beautiful!



 One of the bedrooms - I love the blue toile!
This baby cradle was so lovely.  If you look closely, you will see the bottom rocker is smaller/thinner  than the top rocker - that is because the wood has been worn down by the centuries of feet rocking the cradle - probably while the mother was in her chair working on her needlework!
 This remarkable table dates to 1709!!  Look at the beautiful wood work/carving!

This is a wooden dough bowl - it was excavated at the Smith's Fort Plantation site.  They believe it is hundreds of years old.  It was used to mix dough and then allow it to rise.  There was also a wooden roller made from the same wood.  The picture does not do it justice - that bowl was HUGE!  At least 2-3 feet wide!

Well everyone, I hope you have enjoyed your tour of Smith's Fort Plantation.  I know I did! 

Till next time - keep stitching!
Valerie



4 comments:

Edgar said...

I love Smith's Fort Plnt., thanks for stirring up the memories!!!!

Margaret said...

Oh wow! I love all the pics -- what a beautiful place! I will have to remember Smith's Fort if we ever make it down to Williamsburg again. I love Williamsburg. Thanks for sharing! (I'm behind in my blog reading -- can't keep up!! But I'm so glad you are posting again!)

Robin said...

Fabulous pictures of your time spent in Williamsburg! Just returned from Williamsburg! It is one of my favorite places to go.

Robin in Virginia

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I love that place! It's been a few years since I've been there and I loved seeing your pics. That bible cover is amazing!